The Federal Government has dismissed reports that 23 Nigerians convicted for drug offences in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia had been executed.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it was in contact with the Nigerian Mission in Saudi Arabia “and it has been confirmed that the story is false and should be disregarded.”
The media had been awash with the names of the convicts awaiting execution in various Saudi prisons for drug offences.
But the spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ferdinand Nwonye, explained in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday, that the MFA was investigating claims that most of the trials were carried out without adequate legal representation for the accused, in accordance with internationally accepted legal principles.
It said, “Furthermore, the Nigerian Mission was not informed of the arrests and trials. The Federal Government is, therefore, engaging the Saudi authorities through diplomatic channels with a view to finding a just solution.”